Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 28 - Stress

Technically this entry is supposed to be about one thing that stresses me out, which is good because I have more stress than a poorly engineered bridge. Anyhow, by this point in time I am sure that my faithful readers will not have much of a problem guessing a few of my stresses, so I think I need to approach this from a slightly different direction. So when I think about stress I need to actually focus on what causes my stress. In this sense I think that the greatest stress of all, perhaps not just for myself but for you, the individual or the collective, has to be society, yes? We are, after all, products of the grand dream (delusion) that is society. We always have been, as long as man is man I assume that we all will continue to be, at least to an extent.

Few forces hold quite as much sway as society, it is completely capable of allowing for, as I think it has for me, completely reshaping aspects of your identity. And then if it molds them in odd shapes, or if you have trouble contorting and conforming to this model you are left adrift. If I worry about a job it is because society tells me that I need to be productive and contribute to the whole regardless of what that whole actually serves. Society stresses me out about the way I relate to people, the way I carry myself. Society demands success, and I enjoy succeeding just as much as the next person. When things go wrong, when I find myself stressing, then the finger could, and in all likelihood should, be pointed at the way society has constructed me to think, to behave. I do my best to fight, to be 'me,' whatever that may mean, but at times it seems almost useless. It's a system I need to live, a system that allows me to type what I am typing, but also an oppressor.

So where does my stress come from? Well, it's all a big social construct.

Thanks for reading.

Tomorrow's Topic: 3 Wishes

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment