Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 13 - Beliefs

This is probably the part where I write something jumbled about how I don't believe in much of anything, but I don't think would be necessarily true. The easiest way to tackle this, and the way it was intended, I suppose is for me to talk a bit about religion. That's not really my place, I don't think. As far as I know I'm a Christian at least in the sense that I was baptized Lutheran, my mom's family are Catholic, and I do believe in the traditional Christian version of God, but I think I am much closer to an Agnostic than anything, maybe a non-denominational Christian. There are a bunch of quotes about how God gave us potential for knowledge and it was intended to be used, or some scientifically inclined. I believe in evolution, but I believe in creation to an extent as well. Not the way it's recorded, but that there's a comfort in thinking that something higher exists. Like many of my beliefs I tend to feel that I believe them in spite of logic, and I would advise no one else to believe anything similar.

Here's the thing though, I really don't much know what I believe. I know this blog is meant to make me think about that, and I did, but my perception of truth and certainty only makes the nihilist in my come out and that tends to only be fun for myself, and even then it eventually spirals in to hopelessness. I believe there is a tangible reality somewhere, I don't know exactly where that is. I'm not quite sure anyone knows, I'm not quite sure at times that there is an anyone. So maybe it is easier to say, as Rush have, that I don't believe in belief. The world does tend to work in circles, paradoxical circles. I guess I believe in the present, however I conceive of that. Perhaps that's where the complication comes in, since the present is always moving it never actually is there when I say it's there, and that's where I get tripped up. But yes, that's what I believe. Present. Now. No, now.

Thanks for reading.

Tomorrow's Topic: A Picture You Love

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment