Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 12 - Favorite TV Shows

I said way back in the first daily entry of this that I was addicted to culture, and as such the picture box is one of the venues to which I have an addiction. The best way to tackle all of the shows I love is to break things down in to categories and go from there, which means that for what I do not write about I will be sure to include as honorable mentions. But I am only human, which means that some shows will be left out.

Comedy

Being my favorite genre entirely I figured this was the best place to start. While television comedy is at somewhat of a high point right now I must reach a bit farther back to pull out what is likely the best television series ever crafted. Bringing together an insanely talented cast, crafting an entirely consistent world, and layering jokes within jokes means that Arrested Development will always have a special place in my heart. I sometimes think the show is not as good as I remember, but then I watch an episode and remind myself that I can be stupid sometimes. Come on!

Honorable mentions: Community, Parks and Recreation, Eastbound and Down

Animation

No show has ever been more daring than Moral Orel. This show could easily become grating, taking easy jabs at neo-Christians, but Orel is far too sophisticated for simple skewering. It helps that the show, ultimately, is not about attacking the church or Christians. There is a large hyperbolic element to the way members of the congregation are portrayed, but the focus on Orel's innocence is so damn lovable that we realize faith is never bad. The show really picks up at the end of its second season and in the fantastic third season. No show, animated or otherwise, confronts the stark topics that the show tackles in its ultimate season. And to do all that while making use of a sustained story arc that is fully fleshed out, but still contained to small 15 minute chunks. I should go more in depth about this show at Processed Grass at some point.

Honorable Mentions: South Park, Archer, Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Miscellaneous

Just going to take this section to briefly mention a few other shows that I have mostly fallen in love with. Skins has eaten away large chunks of my life lately as I plowed through the first four seasons of the show. The portrayals are not always realistic in content, I suppose, but the relationships that develop are fleshed out. Engrossing vignettes of characters on the boarder of adulthood. Just started following the recently started Series 5, and enjoying that a good bit after episode two. Also, Cassie! Wizards of Waverly Place has one Hell of a cast, but what is impressive about the show is how it has decided to sustain larger story arcs from week to week. It's ambitious, not always logical or completely developed, but damn ambitious coming from a network that was content to push out serialized weekly amusements. LOST also had me engrossed for a good time as well, and I look forward to revisiting it at some point. Around the Horn tends to feature Woody Paige talking about sports, and I could watch that everyday.

So that's just a brief overview of my TV watching habits. I look forward to checking out The Wire in the next few months along with Twin Peaks. Television has made strides and it continues to develop. I can't wait to see where it goes in the future.

Thanks for reading!

Tomorrow's Topic: Beliefs

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment